Saturday, August 12, 2017

Russian Sunflower


Some wonderful things arrived in the package from Siobhan Furgurson last week. The magazine in yesterday's blog post was one of them, but the big prize was a quilt top she made.


It was inspired by an 1840s rescue crib quilt from my collection. The center block was a design known today as Russian Sunflower, but there were many names for it, all coined long after the inspiration quilt was made, around the 1840s.


The sunburst design was also a cornerstone in a few of the "New York Beauty" quilts in my collection. The original quilt is in poor condition, but it has value s a study quilt. Siobhan did a wonderful job with it.


Siobhan finished the top in time for the 2012 American Quilt Study Group Seminar in Lincoln, Nebraska, where we had our picture taken with it. She hoped to hand quilt it, but ultimately decided to send it to me. I will make sure it is beautifully hand quilted and finished, and maybe some day we will make a pattern available. Thank you again, Siobhan! You'e a gem.

2 comments:

  1. That photo of the both of us with the quilt always makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go back and look at the photo again! Didn't even see you the first time. I love that quilt, and everything else you do, Siobhan. Dot

      Delete