Thursday, September 29, 2016

La Grange

exhibition opening day, photo courtesy of Texas Quilt Museum
My exhibition of New York Beauty quilts is now open at the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange, Texas. La Grange...where have I heard that name before?


What were they singing about in the song? The Chicken Ranch, an infamous location a couple miles east of La Grange, the inspiration for Best Little Whorehouse in Texas! Although I do love Dolly Parton, I've never seen the film, or the original Broadway play.




Times have changed. The Chicken Ranch closed in 1973, and in 2011 The Texas Quilt Museum opened, giving La Grange an exciting new cultural venue especially for displaying quilts.


Deborah Hensel wrote a great article about it in Quilters Newsletter leading up to the museum's grand opening in 2011.




It was an honor to be invited to display quilts at the museum. I have seen pictures of the space, and it's gorgeous. I can't wait to visit!

exhibition opening day, photo courtesy of Texas Quilt Museum
one of the quilts on display, a favorite of mine
a beautiful space! photo courtesy of Texas Quilt Museum
when you drive through town, you can't miss it!
photo courtesy of Texas Quilt Museum
The exhibition runs from today, September 29th to December 18th, 2016. So, it will be up during this year's Quilt Market and International Quilt Festival in Houston!
an 1850s masterpiece, the oldest quilt in the exhibition
Several tour busses will be going, and I'm excited to know so many people from around the world will go see the quilts. For more information about the Texas Quilt Museum and the exhibition of New York Beauty quilts, visit the museum's website.

8 comments:

  1. It is a great place to visit! Your quilts are going to love being shown there!--Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great museum, terrific town, well worth the visit. Bus tours every day of Market and Festival, sign up now to not miss out. Wish I had time to make the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The space looks beautiful and your quilts look stunning! LaGrange - one of my favorite ZZ Top songs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the exhibit yesterday -- outstanding. I especially liked the one quilted by Tim Latimer. The one shown above with pink and blue ALMOST makes me want to try one of my own. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations, and thanks for having one of the greatest quilt collections and sharing it with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming all the way from Scotland just to see your exhibit Bill, and Market and Festival but I'm sure your quilts will be the stars of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete