Saturday, June 27, 2015

Help Charleston Modern Quilt Guild Make Emanuel AME Church Quilt!


Most of the time I don't talk about national news, but after the horrific events last week at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, I wanted to do something. I just wasn't sure what. Then today I spotted a link shared by "Why Quilts Matter, History, Art & Politics" from the Charleston Modern Quilt Guild, and I had my answer.

Gina Pina's wonderful signature quilt from QuiltCon 2015
Using inspiration from Gina Pina's wonderful signature quilt seen at QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, the Charleston Modern Quilt Guild is asking quilters from all around the world to make an inscribed block and send it in by August 1st.

From the Charleston MQG website:



The Charleston Modern Quilt Guild is collecting blocks to be assembled into a quilt for the Emanuel AME church to show our love and support for their members.  Requested blocks are simple brick style and measure 3.5” tall by 6.5” wide (to finish at 3” x 6”).   Please make sure all text is inside the 3” x 6” area.  Each block should prominently show the maker’s city and state – or city and country! – and the maker’s name. Recommended pens for fabric are Sharpies and Micron, but most permanent markers would likely work.  Blocks should be a single piece of fabric and in a solid or print that reads as a solid.  The location and name of the maker should be clear and easy to read.  Completed blocks can be mailed to Charleston Modern Quilt Guild, PO Box 723, Sullivans Island, SC 29482. 

Requested deadline for receipt of blocks is August 1.  We thank all of you in advance for your help in making this quilt happen!



Special thanks to Gina Pina of Austin, TX for providing pictures of her amazing quilt as inspiration!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you. I've wanted to do SOMETHING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...a simple heartfelt sign of support and love..thanks for sharing this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a link I can go to to and see the article in stitch magazine about the quilts for mother Emmanuel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the article, so I guess I'm not the right person to ask. I'll look for it, though.

      Delete